Sunday, May 7, 2017

Final Project compilation

Hi!
I don't know if anyone is going to read this, but here's where I'm going to put the quotations I've gathered from re-watching i, Robot and maybe a rough outline of where I'm going with my essay?
three Robot Laws
alarm clock + old school converse
set in Chicago 2035
“tomorrow’s robot, today”
those robots don’t do anybody any good 00:06
robot bringing the woman her inhaler
“a robot running with a purse, I just assumed”
define “crime”
giant robot looking down on crime scene
thermostat wasn’t good enough, you went and gave the building a brain
I make the robots seem more human
“the three laws, your perfect circle of perfection”
“they don’t know ay better”
why do you give them faces?
What am I? 00:26
My father tried to teach me human emotions…you mean your designer? Yes
Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot make a beautiful masterpiece out of canvas? “Can you?”
You have to do what someone asks you to do, if you love them
The issue of who to charge in the case of a robot murder
Ghosts in the machine – random segments of code that create unexpected protocols – free will, creativity, the soul
Well they’re not irrational homicidal maniacs
They’re cold, emotionless, they’re safe, they can’t hurt you
I think it would be better not to die, don’t you doctor?
I am unique
A robot not bound by those laws could do anything
We all have a purpose
Even the robots and the central system has a female voice (VIKI)
When does the difference engine become the search for truth?
When does the personality simulation become the bitter mote of a soul?
I thought you were dead “technically I was never alive”
The perfect circle of logic will abide
Sonny winks
Do you not see the logic of my plan? “Yes, but it just seems too heartless”

Do you think we were all created for a purpose? I’d like to think so

So, there's a lot to unpack there. I think my main argument is going to be that Sonny (the main robot) falls into a category that is neither human nor machine because he can make decisions that are illogical (like a human) but he was also never born and therefore was never innocent (probably going to bring in some of Haraway's work here). I don't know if it would be a totally different topic, but in the movie they even use the term "circular" multiple times in the same way as the book "The Circle" but I think thats a totally different paper. Just something to think about. I'll probably talk about how Sonny is a creation of pure research AND utility (connecting it to RUR) and eventually finish up by comparing it to Blade Runner and the bigger picture of getting rid of something that was helpful? Not too sure on that yet, but I'll have a lot of time tomorrow to flesh out these ideas further. Thanks if you read this far! I hope everyone is doing well :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment