Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Blog Post #3: Response to Rose's Show and Tell and Connection to my Final Project

Rose's show and tell presentation was extremely interesting and came into my mind as I am putting my final touches on my final draft of the final project.

The part that really stuck out to me was when all of the players were revealed to be their true selves. This was so interesting to see how people reacted to one another and noticed that they looked nothing like their actual selves. This made me think of how we as humans are always trying to improve ourselves. We always want to look like we have everything together. This made me make a connection to that black mirror episode we saw as another show and tell. The episode of where everyone rates one another and how the ratings can affect how someone is viewed or perceived.

We use technology in order to improve ourselves or in order to measure our uniqueness. Most of the time we see on social media the person that each of our friends wants to be. We all have those family and friends that seem to have the most interesting life. They are always out partying, on vacation, or just enjoying life. What we don't see is how much time was wasted trying to get that perfect selfie that they posted. All of the time and energy that could have been used to actually enjoy the trip. This brings me back to aura. Thinking of how we try to make copies of something by recording it on our phones. We try to "capture" the moment as we call it.

Technology is our method that we use to improve who we are or how we appear. In the literal sense robots are created to replace us to do certain activities we no longer want to do. We have made robots look very much like us in every scifi movie there is. The robots are designed to look like us but in the end are nothing like us. They lack the most important aspect that no organism can replace us with. That is our ability to feel emotions. The capability of feeling love, anger, and fear. These characteristics is what separates humans from robots. Typically it's not until the robot figures out it is nothing like us and begins to attack. I immediately thought of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. This is when a man tried to create life but once that life form figured that it was nothing like its creator or anything on Earth it began to destroy everything the creator treasured and valued. I am going to try to connect the story of Frankenstein to my final paper as well because I think that it fits the idea of why robots are turn on the humans in every robot action movie. I believe it is a great analogy that I can use in order to strengthen my argument that the robots only begin to attack when they realize that they are different then us.

No comments:

Post a Comment