Friday, April 28, 2017

Technological timeline and Disney (of course)

Hi everyone,
We're getting towards the end of the semester, and as I reflect back on what we've learned, I kind of get overwhelmed honestly. This class always felt like we were just talking about things you know? Not like a lecture or anything serious, but I actually feel like we've learned a lot? So I was just thinking about my final project, about the movie iRobot, and exactly how far technology has come, and in what capacity. I don't know if anyone's been to EPCOT in Walt Disney World, but there's a ride there called Spaceship Earth, and it's a ride through of the human technological advances, mostly about communication, in history. I know it sounds boring as hell but its actually pretty cool. Here's a video of a ride through in case you haven't been there to experience it. Also there's a ride in Magic Kingdom called The Carousel of Progress, which was like Walt's brainchild. Its a rotating-theatre type ride that has four rooms in it that are supposed to represent the average American life in the 1900s, the 1920s, the 1940s, and 21st century (now), respectively. It made its debut at the 1964 New York World's fair until 1973 when it moved into Disneyland and then Walt Disney World in 1975. It's another example of how the future always seems way more futuristic in the past than it actually is now? If that makes sense. Here's a link to that ride-through if you haven't seen it. I know this post wasn't supposed to be about Disney at all, but its me, so what can we really expect?

So, I got curious, as I do often and wondered exactly how fast are we advancing in technology? Is it too fast? What would have happened if the dark ages didn't happen? So I found this that kind of helped me out. Its wild, honestly. I think its funny that something I take for granted, a fire extinguisher, was such a technological advancement, that it was big news when it was invented in the 1860s. I also feel like Thomas Edison is on here a lot, which is cool. I didn't know about half of the stuff he invented on this list. Also the microwave was created on accident? I feel like maybe a lot of things were created on accident, and no one admitted it to the public. Check out the list, because I'm not gonna bore you by listing off my favorites.

The main point of this is that technology (and our obsession with it and how it changes) is fascinating. I always think about how there can't possibly be anything else to advance or improve can there? There's a line in the Carousel of Progress that has really resonated with me since I first went on the ride. The main character is named John and in every scene he says, "things can't possible get better than this" which is funny because in the very next scene it gets better and easier for their family to go on with their every day lives. I hate sounding like a baby boomer, but things are advancing so fast even my younger sister (who is only 3 years younger than me) is better at technology than I am. I'm just very overwhelmed I'm sorry :(

No comments:

Post a Comment