Wednesday, April 5, 2017

I, Robot (final project ideas)

Hi everyone,
I know I kind of asked about it a little bit in class, but I wanted to flush out some ideas here with y'all to see if anyone had any thoughts that would potentially help me out? So bear with me as I try to untangle my final project ideas.

So the movie I, Robot was released in 2004 and stars Will Smith who is a police officer in 2035 Chicago where robots that are designed to help humans are very common. There is a set of laws instilled to prevent robots from attacking or harming robots. Smith's character is named Del Spooner, and Spooner is very distrustful of robots because when he was in a car crash, a robot saved him over a 12 year old girl because he was more likely to survive, statistically. As a result of the crash, Spooner himself has a cybernetic arm, lungs, and ribs. The man who created robots, Dr. Lanning, is found dead from an apparent suicide, but Spooner doesn't believe that its possible and that a robot must have violated a law and killed him. He meets a robot who is named Sonny and learns that he is able to break the laws and has dreams and emotions, something that Dr. Lanning programmed into him and some other later model robots. I haven't rewatched the movie yet, but I think the two scenes I'm going to focus on are one of the earlier ones where Del talks about his accident and why he has such a hard time trusting robots, and another scene towards the end where Del and Sonny are in a warehouse and Sonny is trying to hide among the other robots in his model that haven't been activated yet. To me, the first scene is important because it highlights a major difference between humans and robots (at least the older models). The second scene I like because although Sonny and the other robots look the same, its clear which is Sonny and which are the other robots that havent been activated, which kind of shows that the robots are less like each other when they have emotions and unique features, just like humans.

So I guess for my final project I wanted to talk about something having to do with what exactly is the difference between being human and being a robot in this movie specifically, and where aura fits into all of this. Does Sonny have an aura because he can dream and feel emotions? What about the aura makes humans human? What is Del, considering he has some robotic features in his body that saved his life? Does that diminish his aura? This has always been one of my favorite movies, especially after this class because it kind of makes you think about what being human means and once we answer that question, do we appreciate our uniqueness? Does any of this matter? Is being human only worth something because we die? Do you see how I need some help picking one topic? Haha well if you read this far and have any ideas, thank you, let me know what you think would be more interesting to read about, because I personally think this is all really interesting!

Thanks again!
Sedona :)

No comments:

Post a Comment