Thursday, February 9, 2017

Show and Tell - Sedona

Hi everyone,
I hope you at least enjoyed my video a little bit, got a few laughs in here and there. If you want, here's the link to the video and another one I was going to show in class, but its a little more vulgar than the one with Stan Lee and Jim Henson, so watch at your own discretion.
Basically my point to this was to present something about Disney (I am a huge Disney fan, in case you couldn't tell) in a way that was somewhat relevant to the issues in the media we have today. In my opinion, media is becoming more and more biased and that's really coming from a few rich people/companies having control (monetarily and through friendship) of the large, mainstream media sources. Obviously the Walt Disney Company is a large company and they own a LOT of subsidiaries that essentially run many aspects of the world. Both in the parks themselves and in the media there is a specific image that is being presented and I just wanted to discuss the difference between deliberately lying to your viewers/participants and creating a more "magical" environment. Where is the line between genuinely wanting to create a different experience and lying?
Personally for me, as long as you are happy, I don't think Disney magic is lying. Yeah, things can get expensive, but it truly is for your benefit, and it takes a lot of people to make the dream a reality. But, I also believe that having a monopoly on the media is a bad thing. This leads to group think and the giant mess that is the two party system. Even going on facebook has become utterly depressing, as I am seeing posts from extreme sides of the two party system and from very limited sources. Diversity is what makes free countries like America unique, it is how we advance in technology and medical progress and I am just so afraid that limiting and controlling the media will reduce our diversity and therefore slow down our advances.

Any thoughts? I'd love to get some opinions from people who have different or opposing views. Have a great weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment