Sunday, February 12, 2017

Looking at the World Through a Filter (and Not a Great One)

               Last Tuesday we discussed how experiences that people once lived directly have shifted to being lived indirectly through representation. This concept is what sparked my idea for my Show and Tell. Since it has become so easy to take pictures at any moment of anything we see, we truly are living through representations. So often, we see the world through the eyes of a camera. The camera puts a filter on everything we see; it changes the view from 3D to 2D. Thus, not only are we putting a filter on our lives, but the filter really isn’t that great. It often makes things less beautiful and detracts from our ability to directly experience them – so why do we keep doing it?
               I shared a couple of examples related to this topic during my presentation. Last week, I had seen a bright yellow bird on campus that I knew my dad would like to see. The bird was up in a tree, so it was pretty difficult to get a good picture of it on my phone. I kept trying different angles and zooming in and out. The end product was about fifteen semi-blurry pictures of a yellow bird. I couldn’t make out any of its other markings and I couldn’t really tell how big it was. Not only were the pictures hazy, but so were my memories. I couldn’t describe the bird to my dad because the whole time I had been watching it, I was seeing it through the screen on my phone.



               My other example was about travel. When we go to new and beautiful places, we seem to have a strong impulse to photograph them. For instance, when I was in Nicaragua last summer I was constantly taking pictures of all of the beautiful scenery rather than just looking at the window and taking it in as it went by. As a result, my memories of the views through the screen on my phone are stronger than my memories of the actual place. Unfortunately, the pictures on my phone are a lot less beautiful than the real views were. A similar phenomenon has occurred before when I have been in Europe, on hikes, or when I’m looking at a gorgeous sunset. I feel the need to take pictures so I can go back and look at them to remember the experience. But how often to I actually go back and look at the pictures? How much has the act of taking the photograph detracted from the experience in the moment?



               In class, the discussion expanded to video recordings and social media. Often we feel the need to share our experience with the world, which ultimately takes away from our time living them. People constantly post Snapchats of concerts or political events or even the Super Bowl. The goal seems to be to convince others that we are having a good time at these events. However, the distraction of posting these pictures and videos makes our experiences less memorable and less valuable. In many cases we are forced to choose between enjoying an experience fully in the moment or documenting it to share and to be able to enjoy again later.

               Overall, I think it’s a positive thing that we have this impulse to record and document. If we didn’t, we would not be able to look back at videos of ourselves as little kids. We might not get that laugh from a goofy picture we took with our middle school friends. Even more, we would not have documentation of history; we wouldn’t have pictures of the March on Washington or of the Pietá before it was smashed with a hammer. It’s good to record things for ourselves and for posterity. I just think that we need to be more careful about fearing loss so much that we don’t get to experience anything directly. I think we need to choose to actually listen to the concert more often than we choose to record it. I think we need to choose to take just one picture of the Notre Dame cathedral when we visit it rather than fifty. Perhaps then we will be able to see and embrace more of the world without that artificial filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment