Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Final Project idea

     For my final project I want to do a sort of spin off on remix/remake culture. Throughout this semester I have been using some of the telescopes around Tucson and on campus to take pictures of Messier objects with a charged coupled device (CCD) camera. Messier objects is a catalog of 110 objects that Charles Messier made when he was trying to track comets. He kept finding these fuzzy objects that he did not want to waste his time observing so he cataloged them. These objects consist of galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. My projects is to use the CCD camera to take a series of 30-60 second exposures in red, blue, green and luminance filters. I take multiple pictures in each filters so I have plenty of data. I then take all the red filter images and align them so all the stars match up. Next, I stack all the red images to create one ideal red picture. I repeat the process with the other three filters. Once this is done, I take the one ideal red, blue, green and luminance images and align them. Finally, I can do a color stack. This then creates what we call a true color image, which is what most people will find if they google a Messier object. Of course, mine are not as good as the ones on google because Hubble took most of those.
     This is related to remix and remake culture because my taking different filters is like taking different sounds from multiple songs to create a whole new song, which is equivalent to the true color image. I have attached images of red, blue, green and red images as well as a true color image. These pictures are of M42, which is the Orion Nebula located just below the bottom left star in Orion’s belt. The only problem with these pictures is that they had to be compressed from a 16 bit image to an 8 bit image.
     Attached is the color image of M42 along with the luminance (no filter) image. For my actual final project I'll attach pictures with the red, green and blue images so the differences among them all can be seen. I might also attach other Messier objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment